Sunday, February 3, 2008

What NOT to do in a health club - Part I

If you spend a lot of time in the gym (as I do, being a self-proclaimed fitness guru) you probably see some goofy stuff, and unfortunately a lot of it is by middle aged folks, who you think would know better.

One of the topics I'll talk about every now and then is how to avoid irritating your fellow man (I mean that in a gender non-specific way) when at the gym. If you have a story to tell about stupid gym behavior that you want to unburden yourself from, I'd love to hear about it.

Here's today's tip on what NOT to do at a gym: don't camp out on the equipment like you're the only one in the world who wants to use it. Sure, you have the right to use a piece of equipment as long as you need it, but parking your can on one machine for 20 minutes? That's just hacky!

I was at the gym yesterday, and a 60-something fellow was "occupying" (as opposed to doing anything) one of only two leg press machines at the gym. The other was also being used. So I skipped that exercise and went on with my workout, checking back after every exercise. Every time, the guy is still "occupying" the machine. Since I am trying to emulate the Thomas Jefferson model of statesman-like behavior I don't ream the old guy out. Finally, 20 minutes later the guy was gone.

Please don't interpret my rantings as meaning everyone should be rushing to make room for the next person; that's not the point. But, even at three or four sets with 1-1/2 minutes rest between (that's the high end of the range that self-proclaimed experts like myself suggest) the total time on a machine is maybe 7 or 8 minutes, absolute max.

No comments: