Thursday, February 28, 2008

I think I speak for everyone when I say that yoga is bullsh*t

Yoga is once again rearing its ugly, boring head in the world of exercise. It revives itself as a mainstream activity every few years when people have had some time to forget how ridiculous it is and a whole new crop of suckers take up this form of (I use this word very, very loosely) “exercise.”

Let’s start with the pants…maybe for guys there is some benefit to wearing “hotel convention center” pants (with extra ballroom), but any exercise that lends itself to wearing special clothing is not my kind of exercise. If you can’t do it in t-shirt and shorts then move onto something else. The last thing I need is an exercise that requires a sense of fashion to participate in.

Next, there’s this relaxation business – what’s that all about? Exercise should be invigorating, not put you into a coma. Turn on some of that dopey New Age background music, then drone on and on in a monotone voice and I’m in Snooze City and the yoga instructor is the mayor.

Can you stand on one leg with the other leg stuck out at an unnatural angle for minutes at a time? I doubt that I can but I KNOW that I don’t want to. Exercise should be like backgammon – you should be able to learn to do it halfway decently in a few minutes, not a few years.

No comments: